Fabric, wool and haberdashery
In this series of workshops we will make a beautiful lap quilt measuring approximately 56” square.
This quilt is made using one jelly roll (or 40 x 2 ½” wide strips), 2 ½ metres of background fabric, plus binding, wadding and backing fabric.
This sampler quilt is made up of 4 x quarter blocks each comprising of:
- Japanese Star Block
- Crow’s Foot Bloc
- Love in the Mist Block
- Fan Block
- Flying Geese Block
- Four Patch unit Block
In making the blocks you learn and use various techniques including making Half Square Triangles from a Jelly Roll, Flying Geese, Four Patch Blocks and Nesting Joints – accurate cutting and piecing is essential in making this quilt.
Due to the random nature of fabrics in a jelly roll careful thought needs to go into planning which fabrics go where in your quilt to maintain a random effect. Prior to the workshop sort jelly roll strips and roughly plan which strips you will use in each block
Level of Experience
Suitable for intermediate to advanced – most weeks there will be a need to complete some sewing at home
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- 1 x Jelly Roll (or 40 x 2 ½” strips)
- 2.5 metres background fabric
- Min. 240” of 2” wide binding
- Neutral coloured thread (that blends best with your jelly roll)
- Wadding/Batting (approx. 60” Square)
- Backing fabric (approx. 60” square)
- Basic Sewing Kit
- Cutting mat and rulers (particularly useful in the multi size 45/90 degree (CGRMS4590) for making HST’s from a Jelly Roll)
- Rotary cutter
- Sewing Machine (including 1/4” foot with guide if you have one)
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
16 Hours over 8 weeks, £70 per person
The maximum number of attendees for this workshop is 6
Places on workshops are secured by a £10 cash deposit at the time of booking and balance payable on the day direct to the workshop leader.