Fabric, wool and haberdashery
In this one day ‘Something Valentine’ workshop, explore up to nine textile variations on the theme of hearts to stitch together to make either a pretty cushion front, or a simple tote bag front or even could multiply into quilt design.
Through this workshop you will be guided in the exploration of several textile processes which include; bonded applique, reverse applique and cut-away, collaged layers, how to transfer printed text from books with sticky tape and printing words from letter stamps.
Compliment your designs with simple hand and machine stitches as you work into each design to bring out each individually.
Level of Experience
This class is suitable for beginners to sewing.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- A small selection of heart or valentine inspired fabrics. E.g.: Plain red fabric, printed cotton in red, striped cotton in red, checks and spots, any combination which could work together. You can use a plain beige linen and either vintage damask tablecloth or some good quality cotton to make boarders and backing.
- You may require some heart themed buttons and some plain white shirt buttons for decoration. Any vintage haberdashery and trimmings also work well.
- Machine sewing thread in red and cream
- Embroidery thread (stranded DMC or Pearle)
- A small sheet of bonda-web A4 size
- Fabric pen which disappears for marking
- A general sewing box to include very sharp embroidery scissors to cut back applique, fabric scissors, pins, embroidery needles.
- Sewing machine
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
6 Hours – £30.00 (materials extra see list)