Fabric, wool and haberdashery
From supplied photographs, you will be shown how to transfer those images in to an applique pattern to apply onto a cushion front.
You will then be guided through the process of embellishment. You will be applying applique, finishing the edges with machine stitching to produce a 2D outcome to adorn a soft furnishing cushion. Finally you will be constructing your cushion which would make a great addition to any sofa or easy chair; maybe even as a personal gift for a loved one.
Level of Experience
This class is suitable for all levels, from the novice to the advanced.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
Requirements: Materials & Fabric
- For the base you will require canvas cloth 50cm x 50cm
- 50cm x 50cm ‘stitch and tear’ backing.
- 50cm x 50cm length of bonda web
Required Equipment to complete the class:
- Machine threads: black and mid brown
- White tacking thread
- Hand sewing Needles
- Scissors: paper scissors, sharp fabric & small embroidery
- Sewing machine with a ‘free hand’ sewing option (even the most basic machines now come with a plate to cover the feed dogs so you can free hand stitch, so you do not need any high tech machine) don’t forget either the darning foot or embroidery foot to use when free hand embroidery.
- Important! Spare needles for your sewing machine (just in case; if you are experimenting with free machine embroidery anticipate a broken needle)
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
The tutor will be providing:
- Image to use to transfer into the textile project
- Layout Paper
- Pencils & rubbers
- Fabric paints
- Masking tape
- Brushes, sponges and pots for painting
- Selection of small scraps of fabric for applique; country themed varieties tweeds, printed checks and dots or block colours
Duration and Price
6 Hours, £30