Fabric, wool and haberdashery
Sewing jersey or stretch with Sewing machine or Overlocker.
You will learn tips and tricks you need to know to sew any type of knit, including:
- Knit and stretch fabrics and their unique characteristics
- Pinning and Cutting stretch fabrics
- Choosing the perfect fabric for your chosen garment
- Setting up your machine for the type of stretch or knitted fabrics
- The correct needles
- Garment construction
- Finishing techniques
- Eliminate rippled seams forever
Level of Experience
This class is suitable for the intermediate / some limited experience of sewing with a sewing machine
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- Please note: If you get a patterned fabric it will have to be pattern matched; so, advice is to choose something simple and less complicated at this beginner’s stage.
- The textile studio is well equipped, but students may wish to bring their own needle/ sewing work box with the following: Fabric Shears, paper scissors, small needle work scissors, Dress making pins. Pencil & fabric maker pen
- You will also need to bring a pattern of your choice (keep it very simple) and recommended amount of fabric. Suggested suitable pattern is ‘Simplicity style 8375’
- You will also need a good quality matching coloured thread. Please note: You maybe constructing with an over locker and therefore will require 4 x additional reels of thread for this machine
- Sewing Machine or Overlocker
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
9 Hours – £60