Fabric, wool and haberdashery
Make your own Lampshade – with machine applique designs of Bees and Butterfly or Terraced row of Houses.
Why not have a go at making your very own personal lampshade to add a bit of fun and colour to any room.
Lampshade measures 20cm diameter x 18cm high with 2 design options to choose from: Applique Bees & butterfly, or Rows of terraced Houses.
The workshop will firstly concentrate on the base fabric where you will applique and stitch your design for the intention to become a lamp shade. If you haven’t used bonded applique and free machine stitch before this could be a great opportunity for you to practice.
Once your design has been completed you will then be guided through the process of making your lampshade using the lampshade kit supplied within this workshop.
Outcomes could give a dim room a new bright focal point or even could be teamed with a stylish lamp base for a very personal gift.
Level of Experience
This workshop is suitable for those with some experience in using a sewing machine and who wish to either improve or learn free motion embroidery and applique.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
Materials: (exact nothing smaller)
- 66cm x 23cm base upholstery or similar fabric (good weight similar as cotton drill or a heavy calico) in very neutral biscuit colour
- 66cm x 50cm bonda web
- 66cm x 23cm stitch and tear
- 66cm x 15cm boarder fabric in polycotton or cotton (Plain colour)
- A selection of printed cotton only for either project but consider the design and the types of patterns and colours for your theme.
- Scissors both fabric and paper
- Small embroidery scissors
- Needle and tacking thread
- Machine thread (I used black, but any dark colour works best)
- Sewing machine with straight stitch and free motion embroidery function
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
6 Hours, £30.00 plus cost of materials and lampshade kit