Fabric, wool and haberdashery
One day workshop that explores needle turn appliqué.
This is a traditional hand crafted method of stitching an appliqué motif in which the tip of sewing needle is turned under the raw edges of the fabric while stitching it to the background.
From a simple supplied floral design the workshop will take you through a couple of alternative approaches and methods to achieving good results.
The outcome is A4 in size which can be later turned into a centre piece for a bag, cushion or added to several others to make a small quilt.
Level of Experience
The class is suitable for the beginner or the intermediate with some hand sewing experience. If you just fancy a relaxing day mindfully hand stitching then this is the class for you.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- A small selection (stash) of fabrics of plains and ditsy prints that could work together as a design. You can use a plain beige linen or either a vintage damask tablecloth or some good quality cotton for you base fabric.
- You may require some batting or similar wadding to later add quilting stitches around your design.
- Hand sewing needles (size 10 or 11 is suitable)
- Small sharp scissors
- Thread matching with the appliqué pieces (try and match with the stash you bring along)
- Freezer paper A4 (can be purchased on the day)
- Small paintbrush
- Embroidery thread (stranded DMC or Pearle)
Duration and Price
6 Hours – £30.00 (materials extra see list)