Fabric, wool and haberdashery
In this series of 5 x 2 hour workshops with Jackie you will create a lovely Nursery Quilt or Playmat.
The finished size of this quilt is approximately 49” square however if you would prefer to make a different size or shape please do discuss with Jackie.
This sample quilt has been made in the theme of Miffy however you can adopt whatever theme you like and include any combination of lettering and numbering to suit your intended recipient. Please discuss your requirements with Jackie prior to the workshop so that she can advise on any fabric requirements and appropriate templates can be sourced.
Level of Experience
Not suitable for beginners to sewing.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
Silhouette backgrounds (plainish / light coloured fabric)
- to make 12 x 9 ½” squares (0.75 metre or 3 fat quarters)
9 patch blocks
- to make 117 x 3 ½” squares ( at least 5 fat quarters of different design fabrics or equivalent. Try to avoid too many one way designs.)
- 40cm WOF (cut into 5 x 3” strips)
- Sufficient coloured fabric scraps to make 12 applique shapes
Wadding and Backing fabric
- At least 49” square (if using 44” wide fabric for backing you will need 1.6m)
- 40cm WOF (cut into 5 x 3” strips) – This size binding suits the sample playmat which has 4oz polyester wadding inside. A narrower binding may be more suitable for a lower loft wadding and intended use of project.
- 1 metre Fuse-a-web lite or similar for fusing applique
- Basic Sewing Kit
- Co-ordinating thread
- Cutting board, rulers and rotary cutter
- ¼” piecing foot with guide
- Sewing Machine
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
10 Hours over 5 weeks : £45 per person
The maximum number of attendees for this workshop is 8
Places on workshops are secured by a £10 cash deposit at the time of booking and balance payable on the day direct to the workshop leader.