Fabric, wool and haberdashery
The Pony-Hound-Fox workshop combines a mixture of contemporary textile skills to create images inspired by our beautiful Exmoor Country side.
With supplied images of Ponies, Hounds and a Fox, you will learn how to transfer these images on to fabric, to then work into them with applique of traditional tweeds and country themed prints.
You will also use free hand embroidery to interpret drawn lines and then use some hand painted finishing touches, to complete something which you could admire framed, or use for fashionable cushion fronts.
Level of Experience
This class is suitable for the intermediate to the advanced, you will explore applique, hand & machine embroidery.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
Materials & Fabric
- For the base of each piece you will require canvas cloth or very heavy weight calico unwashed state in off white or cream. Measuring no less than 32cm x 23 cm as this is just a little larger than each A4 image you will be working on.
Note: There are 3 images in the series and most people would complete 2 if not all 3 in the session; so, bring enough rectangles of canvas to complete these.
- As the above quantities in ‘stitch and tear’ backing.
- Selection of small scraps of fabric for applique; collect country themed varieties, this could be in tweeds, printed checks and dots or block colours. Fabric weights can vary from cotton drill or corduroy, Polly cotton and natural printed cottons, Chintz and cotton satins, woven and felted wools.
- 20cm x 50cm length of bonda web or similar glue for the use of applique fabric.
Required Equipment to complete the class:
- Machine threads: black
- White tacking thread
- Hand sewing Needles
- Scissors: paper scissors, sharp fabric & small embroidery
- Sewing machine with a ‘free hand’ sewing option (even the most basic machines now come with a plate to cover the feed dogs so you can free hand stitch, so you do not need any high tech machine) don’t forget either the darning foot or embroidery foot to use when free hand embroidery.
- Important! Spare needles for your sewing machine (just in case; if you are experimenting with free machine embroidery anticipate a broken needle)
- Optional: Small iron and pressing mat, although there is an iron to use but if you like to keep work at your desk you may prefer to bring your own.
Note: you will be hand painting so don’t wear your best clothes and possibly bring an apron to protect your clothes during this process.
The tutor will be providing:
- Images to use to transfer into textile projects
- Tracing Paper
- Pencils & rubbers
- Fabric paints
- Masking tape
- Brushes, sponges and pots for painting Sewing toolkit.
Sewing Machine – If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
6 Hours, £30
The maximum number of attendees for this workshop is 8
Places on workshops are secured by a £10 cash deposit at the time of booking and balance payable on the day direct to the workshop leader.