Fabric, wool and haberdashery
On this series of 8 workshops, you will learn many commonly used techniques for patchwork and quilters, such as English Paper Piecing, Foundation Piecing, Applique and working with curves, whilst constructing some popular blocks such as Rail Fence, Log Cabin, Dresden Plate and Drunkards Path.
You will be shown how to ‘speed piece’ and construct half square triangles which you can then go on to use in many different patchwork designs. You will gain a working knowledge of various tools and aids like template plastic, freezer paper and bondaweb that help you to produce a quilt to be proud of.
Level of Experience
This workshop is suitable for beginners with experience of machine sewing.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- Cutting Mat, Rulers and Rotary Cutter
- Basic Sewing Kit, including paper cutting scissors
- Template Plastic, Bondaweb and Freezer paper (Sufficient amounts will be provided)
- Fine tipped permanent felt pen
- Sharp Pencil
- 8 different co-ordinating fabrics, 0.5 metre of each.
- Background fabric, 1 metre
- Sashing fabric, 0.75 metre
- Border fabric, 0.60 metre for outer
- Border fabric, 0.25 metres each of 2 colours for the square
- Binding fabric, 0.25 metres
- Backing Fabric. Finished quilt will measure approx. 1.5 metre square (60”). If you are quilting as a whole ensure you have sufficient fabric for this (possibly using extra wide backing).Otherwise you will need 2.75m of 44” wide fabric.
Wadding/Batting. Same quantity as backing fabric will be needed.
Nb. You may like to leave purchasing your border and binding fabrics until you have assembled your blocks to help you decide on which fabrics to use. Quantities may also be less depending on what you may have left over from the blocks.
Nice to haves
- ¼” piecing foot
- Walking foot
- Cutting ruler >22” length
- Sewing Machine & appropriate co-ordinating threads
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
24 Hours over 8 weeks – £80