Fabric, wool and haberdashery
Somerset Art Weeks are an annual countywide celebration of the variety and quality of contemporary visual art that can be found in Somerset.
This year is the Silver Anniversary of Somerset Art Weeks and will be marked by a diverse programme of inspiring exhibitions, events and workshops in over 100 locations across Somerset, alongside exciting new commissions, group shows and
education projects by over 300 artists including our very own Gary Mills.
In a change from the last three Festival years, there is no one-word theme this year but instead an opportunity to celebrate the anniversary and history of the organisation and reflect on the vibrancy of arts and creativity in Somerset.
Since its inception in 1994, it has become an important event in Somerset’s calendar delighting art lovers from near and far. The Art Weeks are an annual two week event supporting the development of the Somerset artistic community as a fundamental part of the cultural life of the county by showcasing a broad-range of visual arts and craft.
Somerset Art Weeks take place from 21 September to 6 October
Threads is delighted to be hosting Gary Mills ( Exmoor Inspired ) for Somerset Art Weeks for the second year.
Gary will hold an open gallery exhibited works on Saturday 21 September, followed over the course of the next 2 weeks by a series of workshops and classes demonstrating processes and concepts, aimed towards the beginner to the intermediate and those who are inquisitive to learn a new skill. The days when workshops are not in progress, Gary will be onsite working and demonstrating his own practice and working methods.
The schedule for the Somerset Arts Weeks are as follows :
- Sat. 21 Sept. – Open Gallery, meet the artist and view the current works on display and for sale, 10am to 3pm – Free Event
- Tues. 24 Sept. – Introduction to Laminated Stitching, 10am to 1pm – £25 includes all materials (Beginners)
- Fri. 27 Sept. – ‘Kantha & Boro stitched Journal Book Covers’, 10am to 1pm – £25 plus materials (Beginners to Intermediate)
- Sat. 28 Sept. – Make your own Lampshade – with machine applique designs of Bees and Butterfly or Terraced row of Houses, 10am to 4pm – £30 plus materials and Lampshade kit (Intermediate)
- Fri. 4 Oct. – ‘Make Your Mark – Contemporary Textiles Workshop’, 10am to 4pm – £30 plus materials (some stitch experience to the curious sewer)
- Sat. 5 Oct. – A Felted Vessel – Introduction to 3D Wet Felting Technique, 10am to 1pm – £25 plus £5 for materials (suitable for beginners to wet felting)