Fabric, wool and haberdashery
In this one day workshop with Jackie you will learn how to construct a Somerset Star Block and then make it into either a cushion cover or a table mat/pot stand.
This is a traditional block that has been used for many years. In America it is also known as a Folded Star.
For these examples they have been made with fabric but it can also be made out of strips of ribbon.
Level of Experience
Not suitable for beginners to sewing.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- 15” square of neutral coloured base fabric (I have used lightweight calico)
- 15” square of wadding
- Fabric 1: (centre) 4 x 3 ½” squares
- Fabric 2: 8 x 5” squares
- Fabric 3: 8 x 7” squares
- Fabric 4: 8 x 9” squares
- Fabric 5: 8 x 11” squares
- Co-ordinating thread
For each of the above fabric groups you can use all the same design (as per cushion ) or a mixture (as per the pot stand)
For cushion For pot stand
- 16” round cushion inner 15” square of backing fabric
- 15” square of calico 44” of 1 ½” wide binding
- 15” x 20” fabric for cushion back
- 12″ zip
- Basic sewing kit, including good scissors, sharp pins
- Small Iron & board – if possible
- Sewing Machine
If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
6 Hours : £25 per person
The maximum number of attendees for this workshop is 8
Places on workshops are secured by a £10 cash deposit at the time of booking and balance payable on the day direct to the workshop leader.