Fabric, wool and haberdashery
A workshop inspired by lazy days spent on Dunster Beach; this project combines skills of fabric hand painting, applique and free hand machine embroidery.
You will create a fun beach themed cushion, suitable for any conservatory, patio or even to take with you on a picnic outing.
Materials for this workshop are easily found around your workroom, using calico, scraps of bright fabrics and threads. (Paints and dyes supplied by tutor).
Level of Experience
This class is suitable for the beginner to the intermediate, you will explore both hand and free machine stitching so a sewing machine suitable for this is required.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
The tutor will be providing:
- Dyes and fabric paints for the cushion front
- Plastic table covering
- Masking tape
- Brushes, sponges for painting
Requirements: Materials & Fabric
- 50cmx 50cm unwashed medium weight calico
- Scraps of a selection of beach hut themed fabrics in printed stripes, block colour or checks. Keep the colours bright and bold, as you would see painted on a beach hut. Fabric weights Poly cotton and natural printed cottons, Chintz and cotton satins.
- 50cm x 50cm length of medium weight iron on Vilene or Stay-flex
- 25cm length of bonda web
- 25cm x 50cm length quilters wadding (not too thick ½ cm thick)
- Selection 4-6 bright coloured small buttons
- Square cushion pad roughly 40cm x 40cm
- Medium weight fabric roughly 50cm X 70cm for the reverse of the cushion
- 40cm closed zip in a similar colour to the back of the cushion
- (Optional: 2 metres of piping cord and 2 meters of a contrasting bias strip 4-5cm wide.)
Required Equipment to complete the class:
- Mixture of machine threads: cream, bright colours and pastel shades (see sample image on line)
- Mixture of embroidery threads (include black for the birds in the sky)
- Hand sewing Needles
- Scissors: fabric & small embroidery
- Sewing machine with a ‘free hand’ sewing – If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
- Spare needles for your sewing machine (just in case; if you are experimenting with free machine embroidery anticipate a broken needle)
Note: you will be hand painting your cushion fronts so don’t wear your best clothes and possibly bring an apron to protect your clothes.
Duration and Price
6 Hours, £30