Fabric, wool and haberdashery
This is a workshop combining a mixture of contemporary textile skills to create images inspired by summer walks in the beautiful Exmoor Country side.
With supplied images to inspire (or you may wish to bring along your own), you will be guided to learn how to respond and transfer these images into worked textiles.
The workshop explores layering in different weights and textures of fabrics, colour washes and paints, appliqued cut floral designs and applied embellishments. Stitch techniques include hand and machine embroidery to create something which you could admire framed.
Level of Experience
This class is suitable for the intermediate and advanced student who wishes to push their creative and design skills in textiles with guidance of a qualified tutor.
Materials / Equipment required by Attendees
- Lightweight calico or white Pillow cotton 40cm x 50cm
- Stitch and tear 40cm x 50cm
- Bonda web 50cm width
- Scraps of pure white natural fibre fabric (linen, cotton, silks…..(can be parts of napkins, hankies, shirt cuffs …all sorts, as these will collaged onto the base fabric and then stained with dye)
- Machine threads: dark brown / black, green, white and yellow
- Embroidery silks: yellow, white, red or bright pink
- Sewing needles, Pins
- Scissors: embroidery and fabric
- A hand hair dryer each as you will be drying off your work before stitching
- Old clothes or Apron as you will be painting dyes on your fabrics
- Sewing Machine with free hand embroidery
Sewing Machine – If you do not have a Sewing Machine, or don’t want to bring your own, you can use one of our latest Brother demonstration machines for the nominal fee of £3.00 per session.
Duration and Price
6 Hours, £30